Discovering the Legendary Schnitzel of Metro Restaurant
For many years, the Metro has set my standard for the best schnitzel available outside of Europe. Located at 164 Victoria St. near downtown Kitchener, the Metro has been renowned for its schnitzel since 1961. You can access the menu at https://kmetro.ca/ or call 519-578-9189 for pickup orders.
Setting the Scene
Before diving into this filling journey, let’s set the stage. The Metro is a modest establishment, far from the frills of fine dining. Its charm lies in its unchanged environment that takes you back in time. It’s a place where the food speaks MUCH louder than the décor.
The Hearty Stuff
Now, let’s talk about what you’re really here for – the food. And oh, the schnitzel! In its authentic Czech form, known as a rizek, it’s a dish that promises to leave you both satisfied and stuffed. The menu is a treasure trove of Eastern European delights like cabbage rolls, goulash, and perogies. But the star attraction, without a doubt, is the schnitzel.
A Schnitzel for Every Palate
Each schnitzel on the menu is a unique culinary masterpiece:
- Vienna Schnitzel: The classic, simple, and utterly delicious.
- Meraner Schnitzel: For those who love a blend of BBQ sauce and melted mozzarella.
- Milanaise Schnitzel: A pizza-like wonder topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella.
- Gypsy Schnitzel: A delightful mix of sauteed onions, green peppers, and tomatoes.
- Provencale Schnitzel: Fresh tomatoes, onions, and herb garlic butter create a symphony of flavors.
- Parisian Schnitzel: Lightly battered, crowned with mushrooms and melted cheese.
- Hunter Schnitzel: A hearty option with sauteed veggies in a red wine sauce.
- Cordon Blue Schnitzel: Stuffed with ham and mozzarella, a classic done right.
- Pilsner Schnitzel: An adventurous choice stuffed with an array of ingredients.
- Champion Schnitzel: Topped with a creamy mushroom sauce.
- Budapest Schnitzel: A creamy green pepper and paprika sauce adds a unique twist.
- Chicken Kiev: A mushroom and herb garlic butter-filled delight.
The Perfect Sidekicks
Every schnitzel is accompanied by a choice of Caesar salad or soup, garlic bread, a selection of potatoes, and vegetables. Here’s a tip: balance your sides with your schnitzel choice. For instance, pairing garlic bread with the Provencale schnitzel might be an overkill of garlic.
My Top Picks
As a first-timer, or even as a returning customer, I recommend trying the Gypsy, Parisian, or Hunter schnitzel. Each offers a unique taste experience, showcasing the versatility and richness of this traditional dish.
Metro Restaurant, with its humble setting and hearty meals, is a must-visit for anyone craving authentic, delicious schnitzel. Whether you are a schnitzel connoisseur or a curious foodie, this place will not disappoint. Remember, bring a big appetite – you’re going to need it!